Working towards a GREENER Raglan
Wherever possible we reuse, recycle and repurpose! Here is a list of some of the examples of the recycling and repurposing we have undertaken.
- July 2017 we freecycled all of our library furniture when we were renovating our new library and most of our old bookcases went to the Red House (a National Trust Property in Kent which was once the home of William Morris) as they were creating a new library.
- Easter 2018 we up-cycled 7 of our old metal filing cabinets and created colourful planters. Parents supplied packing materials like polystyrene to fill up the bottom before adding soil. These were then allocated to year groups and the pupils have been grow plants.
- April 2019 – one of our lovely parents registered the school in the crisp recycling programme. As of April 2021 the school has collected 35.96kg of crisp packets (APPROX 7192) which will be sent to Terracycle. That’s a lot of crisp packets!!!
- September 2019 – Our gardening club repurposed 7 old school butlers sinks to create a planting area in the front of the school.
- October 2019 – using old pallets, a group of Raglan volunteers created 4 pallet houses and one forest school outdoor kitchen in the forest school area.
- April 2021 – we redesigned our reception area and instead of skipping the old reception desk, this was freecycled and given to a Church who have repurposed it for their needs.
Here are some pictures of a few of our recycling projects. Please click on the thumbnails below for a larger view.
Filing Cabinet Planters:
Recycled Reception Desk:
We have several recycling bins located at the main entrance inside the school and some recycling bins (for example a shoe bin located on the KS2Playground). The staff at Raglan recycle their used plastic milk bottles in the staff room!
Please see the following list of other items we recycle in school:
- Britta Water Filters
- Ink Cartridges
- Mobile Phones
- Paper and Card
|RECYCLE YOUR OLD RAZORS AND BLADES BY POST
Did you know you can recycle your old razors and razor blades by post, for free? Thanks to our partnership with Gillette®, you can, from the comfort of your own home!
|How does it work?
1. Collect any brand of razors and razor blades at home
2. Order a prepaid envelope through the Gillette® website (it will arrive within 2-3 weeks of your request)
3. Place your disposable razors and razor blades inside
4. Post your envelope to send it for recycling
|You can request 4 envelopes per year, and each envelope can hold a maximum of 16 razors and/or razor blades. All the razors we receive will be turned into new products! Any brand accepted!
We are very proud of our Eco School Award! Please have a look at our Eco Schools page under the About Us Heading on the website.